You’ve probably had that dog’s mouth harbors germs. That’s true, but there is nothing to be worried about with regard that the germs could spread to you and your kids. This is because most of those germs found in dog’s mouth can only survive in a dog’s species but not human’s. However, some of those germs can find their way to our bodies and raise real health concerns.
For instance, when your pup or dog licks you on the hands or faces as a sign of showing their affection, and it happens that there are bacteria, like Campylobacter, you could be exposed to problems. When these bacteria find their way to your mouth and the stomach, they can result in a horrid stomach upset. That might not kill you, but who needs it?
Ringworms are fungi in nature. When a ringworm finds its way on dogs, it can result in the dry and flaky skin as well as hair loss. Ringworm is very contagious and can spread to humans from dogs, or from human to human. When on dogs, they can be seen as red patches with a slight spiral design at the center. On humans, they appear like red patches with a scaly look.
Bear in mind that your dog’s tongue and nose get to so many spots you wouldn’t put yours. They are constantly licking, sniffing all sorts of things, including rear ends of other dogs. After doing this, your dog can easily pass germs that can result in problems. For instance, the Salmonella bacterium is a killer to most kids and adults, while in other people, they might fall very ill. These bacteria are at times present in raw meat, carelessly processed foods, damaged canned foods or other types of food materials under decay or in contact with animal or human feces. Transmission of Salmonella bacteria happens via the saliva of dogs, or it could be suspended in the air. Most dogs like sniffing and licking around decaying stuff out in the neighborhood. A dog as such has probably acquired these harmful micro-organisms. And petting them is the way through which we can introduce those pathogens in our bodies. Just after petting such a dog, you could end up with your fingers in your mouth (mostly with kids) without washing.
E. Coli Bacteria
This can be transmitted through contact with animal or human fecal material. E. coli are very common in feces and can result in stomach upsets and diarrhea. Severe cases of infection can cause kidney failure and problems. But you don’t have to worry that much! Kansas State University conducted research at their College of Veterinary Medicine, which revealed that only 10 percent of humans and dogs share the same strain of E. coli.
Those who rarely clean their hands after petting a dog or after a dog has licked them are the ones who are prone to infections caused by the E. coli strain and other types of bacterium.
These are organisms that reside on other organisms for shelter and food without benefiting their host in any way. Parasites can be stressful as they can weaken a dog and even cause diseases. Let’s take a look at some diseases caused by parasites.
This is a parasitic disease we felt we needed to warn dog owners about, especially those with little puppies. Poultry harbors them. Chicken droppings particularly have high chances of spreading this disease to dogs. The disease is spread by a protozoan parasite known as coccidia. This parasite finds its way to dogs/puppies through chicken droppings or anything shared between your canine buddies and chicken. Adult dogs may not be affected adversely but can be carriers of the parasite. That means they can spread the parasite to places where they deposit their feces.
Little puppies can be infected by the disease by getting the parasite from chicken directly or an exposed adult dog. The coccidia parasite causes coughing, diarrhea, and dehydration. If the condition goes untreated, the pup can become very ill and result in death. This is nothing to be overlooked. It’s always good to think of your pup and dog’s safety. Always ensure that poultry is kept far away from access by your dogs. Most of us like chicken meat and eggs. But these are not the best for young pups as they could be exposed to the coccidia parasite.
This is also a disease caused by minute parasitic skin mites. It is not prevalent in all areas but is worth being aware of it. It results in the high level of irritation and hair loss on dogs. It’s a disease that should be attended to immediately without procrastination. Within a very short time, it can develop from being mild to severe.
The condition can be treated with some veterinary medications, though these can also be harmful to your dog, without the knowledge of a vet. However, just like we are used to recommending alternative medications, we have a simple cocktail remedy that can cure the condition without affecting your dog in any way.
Treatment of Coccidiosis
There are a couple of sulfur medications and other drugs that can kill the coccidia parasite in young puppies. But we like to suggest an alternative medication in place of drugs. And in this case, COTTAGE CHEESE is handy in keeping the parasite away! Cottage cheese result to a change in pH level of the intestines making it unfavorable for the coccidia parasite.
This works perfectly and poses no side effects as it is common with sulfur drugs. Young puppies weighing at most 10 pounds should be given half level spoonful (spoon used for coffee/cereal) twice every day, morning and evening. Doing this repeatedly for seven days will keep the parasite away. For older dogs weighing 15 to 20 pounds, provide them with a spoonful in the morning and evening together with meals. Doing this for ten days is enough to kill the parasite.
For dogs weighing 20 to 30 pounds, two spoonfuls twice a day for ten days is enough. But generally, any milk product in large amounts is not good for your dog as it can result to loose bowels. Give your dog the amounts stated above only. Any bowel looseness problem that comes forth after administering the cottage cheese as prescribed should go away in one or two days. Giving your canine buddy a spoonful of low sugar yogurt twice every week is good for digestion and keeps the intestines at balanced pH.
Always keep the sugar content for each serving to 10-12g. Ice cream is NOT ideal for your dogs either. It is excess sugar and an all milk product.
Treatment of Mange Mites
In this regard, I haven’t applied the treatment to my dogs as they have never been attacked by mange mites. I have however read several accounts where it did work perfectly. Here is the recipe to come up with an alternative treatment:
- 1-16oz. of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- 32 oz. of warm water.
- Four tablespoons of the “20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Soap.
- You should administer this treatment on a warm weather to avoid your dog contracting cold.
- Mix all these ingredients in one bucket then use a sponge to apply the solution on your dog’s skin, ensuring it is soaked well.
- Don’t dry the skin with a towel, simply leave it to dry with open air. This will allow the dog’s skin to be wet for longer to keep the mites off.
- After three days, you’ll notice some hair growth in regions that had been affected. Repeat the treatment on the fourth day to get rid of any hidden mites.
- After three days again, bath your dog with hypoallergenic shampoo to wash away the residues of the treatment.
- Monitor your dog for about ten days for signs of itching, just to ensure all mites are terminated.
- Repeat the procedure from the start once more and then wash your dog with a hypoallergenic
After Treatment Of Coccidiosis
Now, after administering the above cure as directed, your dog or puppy’s shelter during and after the Coccidiosis treatment should be cleaned as much as possible. All animal droppings must be removed and the place thoroughly cleaned. It should be kept clean on a daily basis. Cleaning is best if done during hot weather as the heat will also aid in killing the protozoan parasite. The grass around your dog’s shelter should be cut and discarded away from your dog’s access. Mowing removes contaminated grass as well as keeping the parasite off the ground. Ensure that your grass bag is dried well after every use. Your dog can now live happily and stay healthier from Coccidiosis problem!
The only best way of preventing transmission of pathogens is by washing hands after contact with a dog as reported by the National Center for Infectious Diseases. Brushes, dishes, bedding need to be cleaned regularly with hot water and detergent. If your dog has contact with anything dirty, bath them sooner and then clean everything they’ve had contact with. If you keep a close look on your dog’s whereabouts and clean them properly, there won’t be any issues of infections from your dog. They are our best friends! If we give them the best care, they will always love us!