These are substitutes for artificial sugar. Dangers associated with these substances about dog poisoning have been very common for long. And the dangers came to the notice of many households when a severe case was reported in May 2007 by Snopes. Unfortunately, most of us never knew about it. But luckily, through this website, this important information shall be passed to all.
Even though Sorbitol hasn’t been mentioned in the report by Snopes, I learned that the compound is very dangerous. It belongs to the same group as Xylitol and can result in death. Xylitol refers to a common sugar alcohol used in chewing gums, candies, certain pharmaceutical and other products of the likes of throat lozenges and chewable vitamins. It’s also a common compound in baking products.
Even though it is stated that it’s safe to humans, it is very deadly to dogs. When ingested by a dog, it can result in a huge insulin surge. Within 15 minutes of ingestion, the dog may record a substantial drop in blood sugar level. As little as 3 grams of this compound can kill a dog weighing 65 pounds.
The xylitol amount contained in a single sugar-free gum can vary with manufacturer. But in general, about 8 to 10 of such gums can kill a dog weighing 65 lbs. On ingestion, the dog can rapidly become very weak, lose coordination, collapse and seizure. Just after 30 minutes, the symptoms start to be evident. Such a dog might have been affected severely and should be given immediate vet attention.
If not attended to, the dog can suffer from permanent brain trauma and finally die a terrible death. Even if your dog survives, its liver shall have been damaged severely just within 24 hours. An October 2006 publication in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, out of 8 dogs that had ingested this compound, 5 succumbed to death as a result of liver failure. The remaining three followed after completion of the study.
Even though more research needs to be carried out to prove that xylitol causes liver failure in canines, every indication available now points to that direction. When it comes to treatment costs for a severely affected dog, it can resort to thousands of dollars. Therefore, be very cautious. Even with the slightest suspicion that your dog has ingested xylitol, contact your vet doctor IMMEDIATELY!
If residing about half a mile from the vet, you should induce vomiting to your dog before taking him/her to the vet. You can achieve this by giving a grown up dog 3 to 4 tablespoons of plain but old Hydrogen peroxide. As for puppies or small sized dogs, give them 1 to 2 tablespoons.
A tablespoon here means the “measuring tablespoon” such as one used in baking. It’s important to keep with you’re a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide with you for this purpose. It’s the same thing that a vet would possibly use to induce vomiting. This can save your dog’s life as many have used it successfully.
However, peroxide should be used on wounds as it is with humans. It tends to destroy living tissue and will affect your dog is applied on wounds. To avoid poisoning your dog with xylitol, you should NOT feed him/her with anything that is NOT meant for dogs or cats. Human foods aren’t safe for your dog.
I am yet to find out about Aspartame, another artificial sweetener used in “Diet” soft drinks. Meanwhile, I would be very wary of it to my dogs. It’s better to be safe than be sorry.